This is a basic tutorial to help you get started. We will use a Basic Size and Colour selection per product, say if you had a clothing store you would want users to select a Size and Colour for a clothing item, with a different price and different stock levels, you would use the Custom, stockable variants plugin for VirtueMart 2.0
- Open the Administration Panel for VirtueMart 2.0
- On the Left hand side under Products select Custom Fields
- Click on New to create a new Custom Field, and fill in the following values
- Custom Field Type: Select Plug-ins
- Title: Size & Colour
- Published: Yes
- Parent: No, you can set this later if you know what you doing
- Cart Attribute: Yes
- Description: The size & colour of the item
- Default: Leave blank for now
- Tooltip: Please select size and colour
- Layout position: Leave blank for now
- Admin only: No
- Is a list?: No
- Hidden: No
- Select a plug-in: VM – Custom, stockable variants
- You will notice you have 4 different options to make use of, Option 1 we would like to list all the different Sizes and Option two we will add in all the different colours together with Sizes that we need.
The first option name we will name Size and in Option Values we add all the different Sizes underneath each other. The second option will be Colour and in the Option Values we add in all the different Colours for a item.
- Click on Save
- Now it’s time to add it to a product
- Once saved, on the left menu under Products select Products and then select a product were you would like to apply Sizes and Colours to
- Once the product is open click on the Custom Fields tab
- No under Custom Field Type select Size and Colour
- Now you will notice a New box appears under Plug-ins. this box will allow you to add new CHILD PRODUCTS to the MAIN PRODUCT, each child product will act as a Variant for Size and Colour for the Main Product, this will allow you to add additional pricing, stock, SKU and Product Name to a specific Size and Colour. All products added here will be shown under Products as Child Products
- Every time you want to add a new Child Product ‘Size and Colour‘ you will need to fill in the 4 fields and click on the New button. This will add a new Child Product above the New Product label, where you can select the size and colour. To edit the child product you will need to search for it under the product list where all the products are listed.
- Click on Save or Save & Close to save the Variants for the product
- After all has been Saved open the front end and you will notice the different sizes and colors will appear.
Image Credits: Photo by Isis França on Unsplash.