How to reset a forgotten Ubuntu password
- Boot up your System
- When the Grub screen appears choose “Ubuntu x.xx, kernal x.x.x-xx-generic (recovery mode)”. The x’s are in the place of the version numbers
- On the next screen select “Drop to root shell prompt”
- Once in the root shell prompt use the passwd command to reset your password
Replace USERNAME with the username who’s password you need to reset
- Next enter the following commands to force changed blocks to disk and reboot the System
sync reboot -f
sync = Writes any data buffered in memory out to disk and ensures that everything in memory is written to disk.
reboot -f = Reboots the system. -f forces the system to reboot
- After the reboot, you should be able to login with the new password.