How to get the 60GB Cell C Speed Stick MF668 working on Ubuntu 11.04
- Open a new Terminal Window
- Type in lsusb ( lsusb is a utility for displaying information about USB buses in the system and the devices connected to them. )
- A list of USB buses in the System will appear, the Cell C device will be listed as
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 19d2:1224 ONDA Communication S.p.A.
- Install usb-modeswitch, usb-modeswitch-data and libusb-1.0-0 via the Command Line, the code below can be copied and pasted to install the three packages
sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data libusb-1.0-0
- After the installation you will need to edit the usb_modeswitch.conf file by executing the following command in order to edit the file
sudo gedit /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
- Append the following code to the usb_modeswitch.conf file
- Save and close
- Run the command below in order to detect the new device
sudo usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
- If successfully executed run the lsusb command once again to see if the device has been updated to
Bus 002 Device 010: ID 19d2:0082 ONDA Communication S.p.A.
- Once done click on System->Preferences->Network Connections
- Click on the Mobile Broadband tab
- Click on Add
- Choose South Africa
- Choose Cell-C
- Leave the Plan to Default
- Select Connect Automatically and Available to all users and leave the other information intact
- Once Saved the Cell-c Connection will appear in the Network Manager and you will be able to connect to the Internet.